Twelve weeks from today is New Years’ Day 2018! It’s hard to imagine that 2017 is almost behind us but I’m afraid it is – almost behind us. We’re in the last quarter of the year and we’re racing towards the holidays. Halloween is one thing, but in fewer than 7 weeks, it will be Thanksgiving and you know what happens after that. In what feels like minutes, it will be Christmas and Hanukkah and a week later, we’re celebrating the start of the New Year.
It feels as if 2017 raced right by. Before we know it, we’ll be thinking New Year goals and resolutions. But what about this year’s? Now is a very good time to look at 2017. Has it been a good year for you? A momentous year? Or, have you encountered bumps in your road? Take a moment to look behind and ask yourself:
What were the highlights of this year? What will you remember forever from this year? Did you meet a new friend, start a new job, have a new child or grandchild? Could be you traveled or learned something new.
As you think of the good parts, make note of each and remember to congratulate yourself for the role you played in making each of them happen, in making it a good year for you.
What were your challenges? Some years may be better than others so, did you run into anything that made this year more difficult? How are you managing? Do you have the help you need to get you through? Have you reached out to others so you don’t have to manage alone?
There are so many other ways to look at your 2017 experience, here are a few more.
- Goals Did you start the year with goals you wanted to happen? Did they happen? If not, is there anything you can do in the weeks ahead to fix that?
- Fun Did you have fun or happy times during the year? Did you make sure you smiled – and found things to smile about?
- Family & Friends Our relationships make an immense difference in life. What changed, either favorably or not, in your closest relationships? What might you do in the next twelve weeks to strengthen or solidify these, especially with the holidays in mind?
- Growth, Hobbies It may look as if I’ve returned to the idea of having fun and you wouldn’t be wrong. As you look back and then ahead to the remainder of the year, those things you do that are pure expressions of you – whether gardening or golf, hiking or learning a language – give us a deep and needed satisfaction.
- Health Checking up on your health is every bit as important as exercise and diet. Do have need to check with your doctor, your dentist or anyone else? How often do we mean to do these details but somehow our intense schedule gets in the way? Remember you and your health!
- Work and Money What did you plan for your work this year? Did it happen and, if not, what can you do between now and 1/1/18? Whether we love our work or it is a means to an end, it does require your thoughtful attention.
- Love Life When you are married, partnered or otherwise committed, do you take time for just the two of you? Taking time with your partner is immensely important. Now, as a woman who didn’t marry til 50, I can assure those of you who do not have a current love, there is so much in our lives that is deeply fulfilling. Instead of a romantic date, do the things in life you love doing. I just bring up love life and romance because so many people forget to take time for the relationship.
We’ve twelve weeks during which we can add our own final spin on our year. Plus, we’ll kick off our new year in strength. May these be good weeks for you!